Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Yoga for older guys who surf

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have started riding a longboard again after basically three years away from this style of surfing whilst I explored the intriguing world of surf mat riding. Although my pop-up is yet to return as it once was, after only 4 sessions, it has been a surprise how quickly, at the age of 61, I have slipped back into this style of riding again. Yes, the 9' Mega Magic I am using is a terrific board and really helping but bemused I thought further about it today. It occurred to me that it is probably due to having recommenced a 6 day a week yoga practice 18 months ago, which has dramatically improved my flexibility. My routine is to switch between a group of sitting poses (worked for 90 seconds) and standing poses (worked for 60 seconds) each alternate day. So even though I still don't quite have the strength to pop-up straight away yet, I am able to get to a standing position quickly enough. I am confident that fairly shortly, my strength will have increased and my pop-up will return and that I will be back to my previous level of ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment